Hello everyone! I have decided to do a mental health post. I am going to start off by giving some positive reasons to keep going and to live. This title sounds very cliche but I wanted it to be applied to everyone and for it to be short and snappy. I am aware that the readers of this have different demographics, families, financial situations, psychological factors and educational backgrounds so there will be some points that may be a little off key for some. But I can tell you that majority of these points are possible for every single person who reads this.
I know some people who are in a negative mindset might read some points and think, “No, not going to happen for me”. However, in reality every human being is capable of achieving these things and thriving despite where we currently are in life. I am going to try and make these points as versatile as possible. So I hope that you guys can take at least some of these points on board. Also, I am specifically aiming this towards those who feel alone, isolated and that there is no hope.
50 Reasons to Keep Living
1. Because there are so many delicious types of food to eat that you haven’t tried! – Hence the picture I have included for this blog post! Think of all of the amazing restaurants, cafes and markets that you have not eaten at yet. Think of all of the amazing and beautiful types of food and cuisine around the world that needs to be tried! If you died right now or if you was no longer here you would not be able to experience those lovely things.
2. To travel – Also hence the picture! I have always wanted to travel to Switzerland. You may be in a horrible place right now. But always remember that the world is a very big place and that your experiences is not limited to what you are experiencing now. Also, there are many different walks of life, people and breathtaking environments to be explored! Can’t currently travel? Use it as a goal to work towards!
3. To meet more amazing new people, share your experiences with them and to learn from them. Connections are what makes life meaningful, how can you experience more of them if you give up?
4. For all of the future pets that you have not bought – For you pet owners think of this way: If I committed suicide three years ago I wouldn’t have bought my pug chibi and I don’t know what would’ve happened to her if I did. It is not just humans lives that you can affect, it is also animals too. Think of what would happen to your pets or possible future ones.
5. For all of the potential little good deeds that you will do in the future – Whether it is helping the old lady cross the road or whether it is moving that snail out of the pavement after it has been raining so it doesn’t get stepped on. YOU are impacting lives in positive ways right now in ways that you can’t even imagine. What will happen if you stopped living? You may even save lives in the future – keep that in mind!
6. For all the people that will admire you and be inspired by you – Butterflies can’t see their beauty but people admire them anyway. Many people will be inspired by your beauty and actions without you even realising.
7. To experience better days. If you are reading this and are considering suicide there is a little plot twist: Life cannot get any worse. You are already at rock bottom. The good news is that the ONLY way is up from this point and I can guarantee that! Do not let depression trick you into thinking that life is going to get much worse and will never improve.
8. For shopping! Come on, nothing can beat that buzz can it?!
9. And for sweet old Mary J of course!
10. For your family – Whether you have a small or big family. It does not matter whether you are adopted or live with your biological family. Remember that blood is not always thicker than water. To those who don’t currently have family members, you can always start one and reach out to connect with others on a family level! Families are not limited to being related and quantity. They are everywhere, people are always connecting and this is what makes life worth living!
11. For funny YouTube videos – Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen nightmares, Hells Kitchen, Dr Phil, TLC and Paul Chowdhry videos REALLY kept me going during a dark time and still do. If you are feeling like rubbish I urge you to type these into YouTube.
12. For the fresh earthy smell in the air after it has been raining.
13. For zoning out and getting lost in music.
14. For the feeling of your food arriving when it finally arrives in a restaurant.
15. The feeling of sand between your toes and swimming in the cool and fresh sea.
16. The feeling of finally having a holiday booked after saving and hours of research!
17. That feeling of finishing work, school, college or whatever it is that you do. It is that amazing feeling of achieving something and knowing that you can now relax. What better feeling is there?
18. For snorkelling and scuba diving with fish/sea life. If you haven’t tried it, please do! It is the most amazing feeling and you feel weightless. It feels like you are in another world with these amazing creatures. You seriously forget your troubles when you do hobbies like this.
19. For caring for plants – This is really rewarding and good for the environment.
20. For that feeling of getting out of the bath or shower and snuggling up to some clean sheets.
21. For getting stuck into a good film or book.
22. For receiving nice messages and comments from Instagram, Twitter and other various social media accounts. By no means should someone base their worth on it but this is one of the little things that have kept me going.
23. For recording funny snapchat filters and videos.
24. For that feeling of doing a massive food shop when you are hungry and finally eating the food that you bought when you come home.
25. For having deep conversations and staying up all night on the phone or on WhatsApp.
26. For falling in love and being loved back. Yes I don’t believe in fairy tales and have seen and been in disastrous relationships. I don’t care if you are 16 or 70 years old or whether you have been single for a month or your whole life. I also don’t care about how you’ve been treated in the past (well I do.. secretly). Everyone has the potential of experiencing this in the future and it is the most beautiful thing on this planet. That potential alone is worth living for.
27. Also for finding your independence and enjoying your own company! I cannot stress how amazing and enlightening this is.
28. For dad jokes. Whether it so from your dad or seeing your partner do his dad jokes to your children or even worse… you doing the dad jokes!
29. Watching endless box sets and series. Whether is is family guy, friends, the inbetweeners or even little Britain. Getting lost in these can help at the worst of times.
30. For long naps.
31. For all of the compliments and support you will get from others in the future.
32. That feeling of landing a job or passing an exam.
33. For the possibility of excelling academically, whether it is passing a course or graduating. If you feel like you cannot do it but want to here is some inspiration: I miss a lot of and left school with one GCSE in maths and got a grade E. I am now a psychology graduate with a 2:1 honours who is starting her masters in September – You can do ANYTHING you put your mind and heart to.
34. For finding your passion. This is specially aimed to those who haven’t found it yet and feel lost, that reason alone is enough to keep going. I promise you, once you find it, it will be the best feeling in the world.
35. For the feeling of getting a fresh new hair cut.
36. For all of the laughs you will have!
37. For the feeling of nostalgia – whether it is from watching childhood films or listening to old songs. If you carry on, you’ll experience more than that.
38. The feeling after a workout and feeling and seeing yourself become physically fitter and healthier.
40. To find your dream job/occupation! I am so thankful that I started blogging and found a new path. If I committed suicide, I wouldn’t have done it.
41. For long and tight cuddles.
42. For your potential future children, think of all of the lessons that you have learned and possible things to teach them.
43. For your relatives and friends who have passed, think of it in reverse. Would your grandparents be happy if you ended it now? Make your loved ones proud!
44. To experience self-growth and to finally love yourself for who you are
45. For sex. I don’t need to say anymore!
46. For being able to listen to the birds sing in the morning and the evening.
47. For sunny days.
48. For mental health recovery.
49. To inspire other by overcoming this bad time.
50. And most of all – for victory!
These tips are just the tip of the iceberg and there are millions more reasons to live. I wish that I can personally write down points for every single reader but that would take forever. So, I decided to make these points as versatile as possible. A good idea for those who are feeling like giving up and not carrying on is to carry on this list and add some personal touches. Whether it is visiting your local coffee shop and seeing the friendly faces that keep you going or your pets that do.
I know this sounds silly but the small things really do add up and sometimes depression can blind us from these precious little things. Also to those who are feeling suicidal or lost feel free to contact me and reach out for help. My contact details are in the contact/PR section. This is not quick fix but is a little wake up call to those who are suffering. Also, I will include some more in depth advice for those who are feeling suicidal or considering suicide. I would also like to hear your thoughts on the little things that keep you alive? This will also greatly help those who read this!